Wednesday 12 May 2021

Stand Up Guys - Strangely only average

Before I wrote this, I checked out some of the other reviews and, based on what I read, you're probably not going to agree with me. Apparently, from what I've seen, the majority of people who watched `Stand Up Guys' really enjoyed it.

I'm not saying that it wasn't an okay film, but, based on having two of the greatest actors in the leading roles, I thought it was going to be better than it was.

Christopher Walken plays a hitman who's charged with the task of `offing' Al Pacino who has been released from prison after 28 years. The only trouble is... they're friends and so Walken takes Pacino on one last night of hell-raising.

It's a good premise and it is at its best when it's sentimental. However, it was also billed as a `comedy' and I didn't find that much to laugh at (primary some smutty jokes about the problems elderly men have between the sheets and that's about it).

Pacino overacts and Walken underacts. And, no matter how great the actors are (and they are great!), the somewhat average script makes little more than an average movie.

I didn't hate it. It passed an hour and a half. It's just I was expecting better, but, like I say, there are a lot of very positive 4 and 5 star reviews, so what do I know?

6/10 May just keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment