Monday 31 May 2021

Orange County - Not as good as I remembered

I originally watched the 'teen comedy' 'Orange County' roughly around when it was released back in 2002.  Granted I'm now nearly twenty years older, so perhaps my sense of humour had changed (dare I say 'matured?') since then.

I really enjoyed it back then, but, for some reason, never managed to track down the DVD or find it on any online streaming service until now.  I couldn't remember much of what it was about, but I knew I found it very funny.  Now, in short, my verdict on it would be that it's simply 'okay.'

A young man (living in 'Orange County,' California - believe it or not) wants to be a writer and go to university, but, for reasons that may possibly be a little bit hard to believe, but more designed to move the plot along) he doesn't get in - even though he should have done.  Therefore, he, his brother (Jack Black, before he was that famous) and his girlfriend, take a trip to the campus in order to 'bluff' his way in.

I seemed to remember it as a 'road movie' where much of the film is dedicated to the situations the characters found themselves in until they reach their destination, but, looking back. I think I may have been getting this film confused with the multitude of bawdy 'teen' comedies that filled the cinemas in the wake of the popularity of the classic 'American Pie.' Actually, the film only really has the two settings - roughly the first half is dedicated to the characters getting ready to set off.  The second half is at the university where they're trying to find a way of getting in.

Like I say, it may be me, but I didn't laugh half as much as I remembered I did.  Which is a shame, as the cast is pretty decent - with quite a few familiar faces cropping up along the way.  It's certainly not a bad film, but it's one of those where you can probably have it on in the background and not really miss much.  One to stream (as part of a package), or watch for free on TV rather than buy on DVD.

I also haven't watched 'American Pie' in a while - I wonder what I'd think of that now?

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment