Friday 25 December 2020

X-Men: First Class - Yeah, pretty good actually

I'm not the biggest X-men fan. I never read the comics, so my knowledge of the story only comes from the films. If you look online you'll see plenty of fanboys crying because some of the dates in this prequel don't add up in the original trilogy.

That's probably true, but I didn't notice. I thought, for a prequel - which, let's face it, is just an excuse to milk a few extra quid out of the franchise's audience - it was actually okay. It did a good job of showing us a backstory that we didn't know, i.e. how Professor X and Magneto went from friends to enemies (George Lucas could take note as to how to write prequels!). Everything seemed to fit together well and tie up all the loose ends. Plus there wasn't too much pointless action and the special effects seemed just right (although I just watched Transformers 3, so I'm all CGIed out right now!). It felt more like a spy film with super powers.

All in all, good fun. And just be thankful they did cast Kevin Bacon as the villain as opposed to Colin Firth (seriously, he just would have killed the film).  

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment