Saturday 5 December 2020

Subspecies - Too low budget (even for me!)

I love horror films.  And I love low budget horror films.  Therefore, when I sat down to watch 'Subspecies' I knew I wasn't going to get any form of Oscar-worthy performances or deep-dive into the human condition.  I just wanted to be entertained by some silly vampire action for an hour and a half.  I suppose I got the half of that - there's plenty of silly vampire action, but not much in the way of 'entertainment.'

I knew it was going to be an odd watch from the opening, largely because it just seems to start midway through the scene.  I felt like I'd been literally thrown into the story and it felt like I'd missed the 'real' beginning.  However, after checking the counter on the DVD I found that it was indeed the start of the film and I was being treated to some of the most overacting and cliched vampires I'd ever seen.

The antagonist wears possibly the most laughable halloween-style costume ever captured on film and his long fingers just reek of prosthetics.  Being 'old school' I do always prefer 'practical' special effects over computer-generated ones, but the stop motion effects look like they were created before even Ray Harryhausen's time.

When the action truly picks up we meet a trio of teenage girls holidaying in Romania.  Naturally they get caught up into a lover story so forced and tired that it makes the 'Twilight' movies look inspired.  Maybe it would be better if the actors were a little more 'professional.' Because of my love for horror, I'm not that fussed if the cast aren't destined to win any Oscar for their performances, however these actors clearly seem to have to wait for each other's lines to be officially finished before they speak their own.  The dialogue comes across as so stilted that it's truly noticeable, even for a genre well known for its lack of acting talent.

As you can probably guess, I didn't like the film.  I found it one hell of a hard watch to get through.  However, when I came to review it, I saw plenty of other reviews giving it full marks and claiming it was the finest vampire movie they'd ever seen.  I guess this one just wasn't meant for me.

Still better than 'Twilight' though.

3/10 Jabba the Hutt wipes himself down with this film

No comments:

Post a Comment