Saturday 19 December 2020

Creep (2014) - Wow, what a drag

Oh, dear.  I've come to reviewing 2014's 'Creep' in order to warn people just how bad it is and I've found that the vast majority of other comments are all very positive.  Now I'm wondering what I missed?!

It's one of those 'found footage' films which sort of came back into fashion over twenty years ago with the 'Blair Witch Project' and has never really left, largely because you can make a feature length movie on a shoestring budget.  Here, a man hires another man to video his days in a remote cabin, due to him dying of cancer and the tapes being - one day - bestowed on his, as yet unborn, son.  So, there's two characters - each who kind of takes turn in filming each other - and that's the entire cast.

It seems the two actors knew each other for a long time before making this film and effectively improvised most scenes.  What you're left with is one long rambling bore-fest.  Sorry to be so negative, but I really found it a struggle to get through.  One of the characters is so annoying you can hardly care about him, constantly creating his own 'jump scares' by popping up from out of shot and shouting, while the other is about as drab as I've ever seen on screen.

I seriously could have turned it off after only a few minutes, but stuck with it because I don't mind a good 'slow burner' where it's not wall-to-wall excitement and builds up the tension before the final pay-off.  Sadly, the 'pay off' (if you could even call it that) was a shot that lasted about 30 seconds.  I guess that was the highlight of the film.

If you're looking for gore, you won't find it here.  It's cheap, feels long even though it's actually less than the average length of a movie and has characters who you won't care about.  Or rather that's just my opinion.  Judging by the amount of people giving it 'full marks' I guess I'm just the minority and you should probably ignore me.  Just thought I'd put in my two cents to point out not everyone went for this one.

4/10 You can watch this film while you're doing the ironing (you'll still get the general gist of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment