Tuesday 13 August 2019

The Other Woman - Couldn’t get past 30 minutes

Okay, I have to confess two things: the first is that I’m a guy and the second is that this ‘review’ is based on the first half hour only.  I know this is a ‘chick flick,’ but I am a fan of Cameron Diaz and always thought that I could sit through her performance in anything.  And, to be fair, it wasn’t Cameron Diaz that destroyed this film for me.

Leslie Mann.  Why?  She’s clearly a talented actress as I’ve seen her in other stuff and she was fine.  However, I just found her more annoying that the offspring of Jar Jar Binks and Ruby Rhod.  She was annoying.  Totally annoying.  The premise (from what I gathered from the first half hour) is that Leslie Mann’s husband is having an affair with Cameron Diaz.  The two women – accidentally – meet each other and – sort of – become friends.  However, the first problem I had was that I couldn’t believe any man would actually MARRY Leslie Mann’s character.  He was supposed to be an intelligent, successful guy – if he could pull someone like Cameron Diaz then why did he sadly himself to this nattering, needy, never-ending yapping woman?

Seriously, I know I’ve mentioned that she’s annoying, but she’s annoying when she’s getting in cars.  She’s annoying when she’s lying down.  She’s annoying when she’s walking her stupidly-large dog.  And, when you tell her to go away and that you don’t want anything to do with her, she turns up at your flat door (after breaking into the communal area), bringing you dinner and expecting you to be pleased to see her.

It was about at that stage when I decided to turn the film off.  Yes, Cameron Diaz was good (as was the little bit of Kate Upton I actually saw).  It was just Leslie Mann that may well give me nightmares for many years to come.

But, after all that, I checked the other reviews.  People are giving it between eight and ten out of ten.  I guess other people saw something in it that I didn’t.  Maybe Leslie Mann has a secret fan club that I’m unaware of.  I’ll stick to ‘Bad Teacher.’

3/10 Jabba the Hutt wipes himself down with this film

No comments:

Post a Comment