Tuesday 12 February 2019

Rampage - Kind of reminds me of that old question...

Why do people climb mountains? The answer: because they're there.

And that seems to sum up my feelings towards Uwe Boll's `Rampage.' Glossing over the fact that Uwe Boll (often regarded as being the worst director ever) has made a half-watchable, well-acted film, I was left wondering why I watched this film in the first place and, why I sat through it until the end. And, now it's over, I sort of wonder what the point of it was.

The only conclusion I can draw is that it doesn't have a point. The movie simply exists. It is what it is and you just have to take it as such.

It's about a man who goes on killing spree with a machine gun (hardly a light-hearted topic). It's actually pretty hard-hitting. It's not often you see innocent shoppers simply gunned down in the middle of the street by the central character (I certainly wouldn't refer to him as `hero').

It's certainly not a family movie. I don't know who its target audience is. Just because I've watched it, doesn't mean I'd sit through it again. But, at the same time, despite its distasteful subject matter, the acting was good, the direction competent and the film different enough for me to sit through it again. Which leads me back to my opening question of why I watched it in the first place? I guess because it was there.

6/10 May just keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment