Friday 28 December 2018

50/50 (2011) - Not a comedy, but not bad either 

50/50 is about a man, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who discovers he has cancer and only has a 50/50 chance of surviving.

The fact that his best friend, played by Seth Rogen, takes a prevalent place at his side on all advertising, might make people think that this is a comedy. It isn't. Sure, it has its lighter moments, but, ultimately, it's a drama. And it's quite a good one too.

Cancer is affecting more and more people and the more the media can do to raise awareness is a good thing (my humble opinion). I watched Weeds (granted a comedy through and through) and a character got cancer in that and was basically better a few episodes later.

50/50 tries to show, as best a light-hearted film can, about how cancer can affect relationships. It's not totally dark and nasty, as many cancer sufferers can sadly relate to. It tries to appeal to a wider audience.

If you want something a bit serious, I'd recommend this (only the TV series Breaking Bad has dealt with cancer better in my opinion).

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment