Tuesday 6 November 2018

I Against I - A generally jumbled mess

I know that not every British gangster flick should be measured against Guy Ritchie's work. And, to be fait, I Against I is nothing like Ritchie's work - in other words it's pretty awful. Whereas as Ritchie can make a complex narrative with numerous characters come together and let the viewer easily make sense out of it, I Against I just seems to want to play around with the narrative structure for the sake of it

Basically, it's a jumbled mess. Again, the far superior Pulp Fiction moved beginning to end and vice versa and got away with it. Some films can do that. This one can't. Scenes seem to happen in random order, making it increasingly hard for the viewer to follow what's happening.

Then there's the characters - who cares about them? They're not particularly likeable and the fact that the story's told out of order makes it hard to keep track of them.

A low budget British gangster film without any major names attached to it was always going to be hard work. And indeed it was.

2/10 Scuzzier than the leftover goo from a Queen alien's egg sack

No comments:

Post a Comment