Friday 19 July 2024

The Breed (2006) - Not as bad as I remember

I decided to watch this after finding it on a streaming site and it was only when I logged on to a movie trivia website did I find I'd already watched it and rated it a disappointing 4/10.  I don't know when I watched it, but I'm guessing soon after it was released on DVD, but I've completely forgotten everything about it.  Now I found that it's not half as bad as I clearly thought at the time.  Not that it's a classic, of course.

Anyway, five friends (two young couples and a 'red-shirt') fly to a private, yet deserted island where they have a full-stocked holiday home.  Don't dwell on the hows and whys of the situation, only that the island contains a load of dogs who want to rip them apart.  And these aren't just your regular pet store pooches - no, these are 'generically modified' mutts, making them ever so slightly smarter than your average canine.

Now, you may think that trying to evade a load of dogs would be easy for five humans.  And it may be for you and me, but the five youngsters (one of which being a young Michelle Rodriguez) seem to be only slightly smarter than your average house pet.  In fact, it's lucky the dogs often feel the need to go easy on them and just attack for a bit and then wander off for long periods of time, giving the hapless humans a chance to regroup and possibly come up with yet another hair-brained scheme regarding how to escape.  There is another guy on the island - we see him and his girlfriend at the beginning, but I couldn't for the life of me work out why he was included.  You'll see what I mean if you watch it.

It's not a great film by any standards, but it's watchable enough if you're looking for something not very horrific and pretty dumb.  Don't worry, there's no real sign of any animal cruelty, despite the dogs being the film's antagonists.  All 'man vs dog' violence is carefully cut away before you can really see it and any that you do see involves dummy dogs.

Not amazing, but definitely not a 4/10.  And it's worth watching if only to see Michelle Rodriguez in a role before she truly developed her trademark scowl/sneer/smirk that she adopted for every role post 'Resident Evil' - there are a few scenes where she looks like she manages to crack a genuine smile. 

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment