Wednesday 31 July 2024

Deadpool & Wolverine (2024) - Sit back and just enjoy it

I've head many different takes on the third 'Deadpool' entry - some enjoyed it, others didn't.  A few thought it was merely okay.  I guess what you're going to get out of this film is dependent on what you stand on the franchise and superhero films in general.

If you're utterly tired of superhero films then this one doesn't offer much that's different - a supervillain wants to destroy the world and our antihero, Deadpool, must (finally!) team up with Wolverine (complete with yellow comic book costume) and save the day.

And that's it.  There's absolutely nothing majorly new about this film, so you could say it's merely average, unless - like me - it ticks all the boxes you're looking for in a film.  Ryan Reyolds and Hugh Jackman are great actors who are perfectly cast for their retrospective roles and they play off each other perfectly.  I've always wanted to see Hugh Jackman's Wolverine get the 'proper' outfit on screen and go crazy.  I get that here.  Personally, I loved the Marvel Cinematic Universe up until 'Phase 4' started, so a film like 'Deadpool & Wolverine' which openly mocks how the franchise has fallen is also very welcome.  Finally, the cameos.  I'm old enough to recall the superheroes films of the late 90s and early 2000s, so let's just say it was great to see a few 'old friends' on screen again.

So I enjoyed it.  If I had to offer any criticism, I'd say the opening twenty minutes did feel a little slow compared to the 'main meat' of the film.  Plus a few scenes later on could probably have been trimmed.  Overall, I'd take out between 10-15 minutes of the runtime to tighten it up.  The main gripes I've seen online are that it's not very focused and if you dwell too much on the plot then it all falls apart.  Okay, this may be true.  So, in order for that not to be a problem - just don't think too much about the story and enjoy the excellent chemistry between the two leads and laugh at all the in-jokes based around the genre.

I did.  And I loved it.

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment