Wednesday 22 January 2020

Pineapple Express - Sometimes you just don’t get it

 I’m writing this review after my second viewing if ‘Pineapple Express.’ I watched it a couple of years ago and seemed to completely forget what it was all about. The reason I’ve watched it again is because I’m a big fan of Seth Rogen (and Judd Apatow’s style of film-making in general), plus I’m not bothered by the fact that a film can be about losers/stoners. Therefore, I really thought I must have missed something on my first viewing.

Sadly, as far as I’m concerned, I wasn’t wrong. This film really isn’t very good. And, when I say ‘good,’ I basically mean funny. I laughed about once (out loud) throughout the whole hour and forty minutes (which us unusual when I watch a Rogen/Apatow collaboration). No matter how much I tried, I just couldn’t ‘get’ it. It’s about two pot-smoking stoners who end up getting chased by killers/drug dealers. However, the ‘chase’ largely involves Seth Rogen and James Franco screaming a lot and then running round in circles (occasionally slapping each other/someone else).

Again, my verdict is simply that it’s not funny. The two central characters are annoying and not that relatable to, therefore I don’t really care that much if the mob catches up with them and kills them, or they just get away.

So, that’s my verdict – Pineapple Express is an average ‘comedy’ at best. However, it’s worth noting that the majority of people must have seen something in it that I’ve missed, as it’s (currently) rated a pretty impressive 7.0 out of 10 on the Internet Movie Database. Guess I’m in the minority here on this one then.

5/10 a hard trek, a bit like unicycling to Mordor and back

No comments:

Post a Comment