Saturday 10 October 2020

The House by the Cemetery - I think I must have missed something

The House by the Cemetery is a classic. Apparently. Now, let me start by saying that I'm a big fan of `so bad they're good' movies. Normally, these are horror films, preferably made in the seventies and eighties (think Dario Agento's Demons 1 and 2). So, I like to think I approached The House by the Cemetery in the right frame of mind. I knew it would be old fashioned. I knew it would be dubbed and I knew it would have pretty awful dialogue.

Yet still I failed to see what all the hype was about. Yes, it scores points for being nicely gory, but that's about it. Currently, we movie-buffs like to pour scorn on Hollywood's obsession with remaking every vaguely famous film from yesteryear. However, in my opinion, this is one film that's crying out for a remake.

It was too old fashioned, even for me. I know this is really trivial, but I just couldn't bring myself to get past the incredibly bad haircuts, fashion sense and seriously awful dubbing to actually enjoy this film. I know I should have been able to look past that, but I couldn't. About the scariest thing about this film is the main child. He's seriously weird-looking and, not only that, but they chose to dub his voice with that of an adult trying to sound like a child. It only made it weirder.

Too many beards. Too little action.

If anyone can please explain to me what I'm missing, drop me a line.

I would give it 2/10, but the levels of gore (and scene with the bat on a string which made me laugh), I'll up the overall mark to 4/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment