Monday 5 October 2020

Robot & Frank - Better than I thought

I have to say that the film's premise of an `old guy and a robot' didn't really grab me. I preferred the all-out action of `I Robot.' However, now I've watched it, I found I actually liked it.

In the near future, our aging hero `Frank' is given a robot to look after him by his family. Frank is naturally grumpy and the two don't really get along. If it was left as that, it probably would have been pretty dull. But, what brings the story to life is the fact that Frank is a habitual thief, so, with his newfound `toy,' he decides to train it to help him pull of some jobs.

There is some very dry humour in all this, plus you actually will care about the characters, even the robot, who comes across as `more alive' than most daytime TV stars.

It's certainly not an `all-out action' epic. It's far more subtle, rolling along at a deliberately slow pace. So, you probably have to be in the mood for something a little more gentle to fully appreciate this.
I now want my own robot. All I have is a `Speak and Spell' from the eighties that doesn't work any more.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment