Tuesday 14 August 2018

Super Troopers - Strangely watchable

Super Troopers' is - almost literally - a 'car crash.' It's a comedy about four (or was it five?) state troopers who spend their days generally winding up motorists (and occasionally catching criminals).  However, their days appear to be numbered when local government threatens to shut down their unit in favour of another 'better' department.

I say 'four or five' troopers because I couldn't really tell them apart.  One was black.  One was stupid (or even more stupid than the others - if you can believe that!), but the other lot were pretty interchangeable (maybe it was the abundance of moustaches?).  Basically, the film has no recognisable stars (unless you count Brian Cox and Linda 'pre Gal Gadot Wonder Woman' Carter's minor roles.

The comedy throughout is definitely of an 'adult' nature, so expect daftness and bawdy male humour.  I don't know whether it was just me, but I didn't laugh that much during its run-time and you may be forgiven for thinking that I didn't enjoy it.  Despite its lack of stars, maturity and (obvious?) jokes, it was strangely entertaining.

I think you have to be in the mood for something like this and know what you're getting.  If you're looking for something even slightly intellectual then steer well clear.  There's no brainpower required to watch this, only an appreciation of severely low-brown humour.  And, I obviously was in the right mood when I watched it, as I'm actually quite looking forward to the (belated?) sequel which I can only hope entertains as much as this one does.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment