Friday 10 August 2018

How to Get Ahead in Advertising - Very loud

As I write this review the keyboard I type on doesn't appear to be making any sounds.  That's possibly because I can no longer hear the tapping noise my fingers should be making - and this is largely down to becoming deaf after watching Richard E Grant's performance in 'How to Get Ahead in Advertising.'

I'm well aware that it's a cult favourite and don't want to rubbish it too much.  I did enjoy the premise, (some) make-up effects and overall message.  I just found the central character too annoying (did I mention how loud he was?) to really enjoy the whole film completely.

Grant plays an advertising executive who - admittedly - isn't the nicest person in the world (who in advertising is?!).  However, while trying to come up with new content for a particular brand of pimple cream, develops a pimple of his own.  Nothing too strange there, until the pimple on his neck starts talking.  And growing.  And developing eyes, as if trying to become the (titular) 'head' in the title.

Yeah, it's all pretty weird and you have to just go with that side of things.  It's the message that's really important, i.e. the rather unsubtle jibes at the advertising industry in general.  Naturally, Grant doesn't enjoy having a boil talking to him and slowly becomes more and more insane (and louder - did I mention that?).

Overall, despite Grant chewing up every piece of scenery on set, I didn't regret watching the film.  It's certainly different and probably a must if you like the more quirky types of films that are shown in film studies classes.  Just don't forget the ear plugs.  And it had Richard 'Victor Meldrew' in it if you're a fan of 'One Foot in the Grave.'

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment