Sunday 28 January 2024

What Waits Below (1984) - If you go do to the caves today...

Okay, as much as I love cheesy horror and as much as I love bad eighties movies, I couldn't go for this one.  It was actually pretty good and yet I just couldn't get past Robert Powell being the lead.  Now, if you're young you may not know who he was.  In fact, in terms of films I wouldn't have known him either.  But then I was a fan of British comedian Jasper Carrot.  Robert Powell starred alongside Carrot as a bumbling detective in sketches and then in its own TV series.  That was how I knew Robert Powell.

Now, I watch a film where a hardened, cut-throat merc leads an army team through an uncharted cave system, only to find there's something down there that they didn't bargain on.  And, in case you haven't guessed it, that kick-a$$ mercenary is none other than the man I watched lose playing snooker to a blind man and his guide dog back on the small screen (my favourite episode of 'The Detectives' by the way!).

Sorry, Robert, your performance as the detective was just too damn funny for me to take you seriously here.  But I tried.  And I tried hard enough to sit through the whole film and, while it may not be Shakespeare, it was still a lot of fun in terms of B-movies.

Powell's actually a good actor (seriously, he even played Jesus Christ in a highly-regarded film) and he's a lot of fun to watch here.  He plays off the other characters well and is definitely the high-point of the film.

What does wait below for him and his team kind of reminded me of the second (original) 'Planet of the Apes' film, but I won't go into spoilers here.

It's got no gore in and hardly much that would be termed 'adult,' but I guess some of the make-up effects and scenarios are kind of creepy and may be unsuitable for a younger audience.

It may not mean to be a B-movie, but it definitely is.  And it's fun - even if you do see the battle-hardened hero as a Jasper Carrot's sidekick!

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment