Sunday 7 January 2024

Hellboy (2019) - Hard to say what's went wrong

Did I enjoy the 2019 version of 'Hellboy?' Er, I guess the answer is, 'It was okay.' It had all the things I looked for in a film (I don't have high standards!) and ticked all the right boxes.  In that way, I can say it at least entertained me for an hour and a half.  However, I already own the first two 'Hellboy' films on DVD and the main thing I came away with was wondering why I didn't just put one of them on?

If you don't know, 'Hellboy' is a comic book adaptation of a lesser-known superhero (or maybe 'anti-hero' may be a better description) where a demon is summoned into our world by those wishing to use it to conquer the world, however the forces of good stopped them and brought the child up to be a force for good - albeit a large, red, grumpy demonic-looking one.

This film's main problem is that it's just kind of pointless really.  Yes, it brings a few things into the mix that are slightly different (like the origin is slightly changed if you compare the two versions), but it's not enough to warrant a remake, especially when the original was so fresh in people's minds.

Now, I should point out that the original two 'Hellboy' films were not as profitable as the studio behind them would have liked, but they did have a very dedicated fanbase - a fanbase which objected to the movie that they liked being remade so soon after it had originally been conceived.

So, without the primary audience backing this version and not really having the mass market appeal like a superhero like Batman or Spiderman would, this incarnation was destined to fail - no matter how good or bad it is.

I liked it, but I can't say it will leave any lasting impression on me like the first two did.  I would have preferred a third instalment into the original saga than this, plus the effects were less practical make-up and creative and more just computer-generated fight scenes which were blatantly so.  If you're bored and fancy a supernatural action movie then this is fine.  If you're really looking to get into 'Hellboy' on screen then the first two films are the way to go.

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment