Sunday 3 October 2021

Troy (Director's Cut) - Epic swords & sorcery (just with the sorcery edited out)

I did watch the original version of 'Troy' in the cinema when it first came out and it was pretty good.  I really enjoyed it and it was definitely a film I'd watch again.  However, when it came to buying it on DVD I found the 'director's cut.' Normally, when one of these is released you get a few extra minutes added in here and there - so few that you either have to be a mega fan and know every line, or you simply just don't notice.  Not here.

The director's cut of 'Troy' contains whole epic action sequences and sub-plots which were - for some reason - not included in the theatrical release.  I can only assume that the studio behind the film assumed that it was too long and less people would want to sit through it.  Personally, I think it's much better this way.

I was always a little confused at how 'Troy' seems to have been rather overlooked and as forgotten with the sands of time as it's central character, Achilles (Brad Pitt), fears he may well become.  The movie never really got the praise I feel it deserves.  I wonder whether that was to do with most people only knowing about the theatrical cut with so much left out.  For the record, I even here that this cut could have been longer, as the original story 'Troy' is based on contains the gods watching down on what humanity is doing to each other (in a kind of 'Clash of the Titans' kind of way).  

Now, since vaguely looking up 'Troy' on the internet, I do hear that there are some purists who are well into their Greek mythology who claim that the film doesn't do the story justice.  I must confess that I have never read the source material, so I really can't compare the two.  But I know that I like this.

It's an epic tale of how Greece went to war with the - so far - unconquered city of Troy.  Greece has Achilles and Troy has Hector (Eric Bana).  And they're fighting over naughty little Orlando Bloom (Paris) and his affair with Helen of Greece (not Helen of Troy!).  That's only a few of the familiar faces you'll find among the cast.  You don't just have the sweaty biceps of Pitt and Bana, but also acting heavyweights Sean Bean, Peter O'Toole and Brian Cox.

I know it's kind of long, so I guess that may put some people off watching it.  And, if you're desperately looking for a realistic interpretation of what the original story was like, this perhaps isn't it.  However, if you're into a 'historical' tale told with a modern (and fantastic!) cast, awesome action scenes and a story that is as old as time, then definitely give this one a go.

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment