Sunday 9 August 2020

Kill the Irishman - Maybe I missed something? 

As I type, Kill the Irishman has a rating of 7.1 on IMDb.com - making it technically possibly the `best' movie I've ever rented.

I like a good gangster movie, so why did this one leave me cold?

First of all I found its lead, Ray Stevenson, a little bland an uncharacteristic. This isn't always a fault, especially if the film is made up of a variety of colourful characters to entertain. However, Kill the Irishman has Val Kilmer in it (and he still hasn't lost weight). Christopher Walken shows his face too - a plus perhaps, only he's not in it enough to make much of a difference.

Ray Stephenson plays Danny Greene, an Irish gangster in America. Normally, I find myself rooting for the gangster - they're portrayed as crooks, but loveable rogues. Not here. I just wanted him to get what was coming to him. And all the rest. I couldn't really name any character I felt sympathy for (especially Vinnie Jones, but that was to do with his attempted Irish accent).

It seemed long too. It wasn't (just over an hour and a half). But, with 7.1 on `Earth's largest movie database' who am I to argue?

6/10 May just keep you awake if Freddy Kruger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment