Thursday 24 October 2019

Father of Invention - Better than average (in my opinion only)

I was quite surprised at all the ultra negative reviews regarding `The Father of Invention.' Okay, I'll admit it isn't Kevin Spacey's finest film and obviously it isn't up to the standards of ‘American Beauty,’ but I found it had a certain amount of charm to it.

Spacey plays a slick `infomercial' salesman who ends up getting his good-life taken away from him when he goes to jail, thus leaving his wife and daughter high and dry. Fast forward eight years and he's released and desperate to make amends (not to mention lots of money).

It's not the most original of stories and you can probably predict the ending, but it is Kevin Spacey in the lead role and, slightly dubious script or not, he still lends plenty of heavyweight kudos to the whole affair. It's definitely a comedy/drama. If you're expecting a `laugh-a-minute' affair then you'll be sorely disappointed, but I found it had enough humorous moments to keep me happy.

I guess the main gripe I can see surrounding this film probably comes from Heather Graham’s character.  She plays a housemate of Spacey’s daughter… and she’s a lesbian.  The reason I mention this is because – as every film fan knows – the film-makers obviously felt that Spacey’s tale of redemption was not enough.  Apparently, it needed a ‘love interest’ as well.  And, if you’re asking, ‘How can a lesbian be Spacey’s love interest?’ then you’re probably not the only one.  In short… many negative reviews make note of the fact that a ‘lesbian’ (notice the quote marks?) can supposedly be ‘turned back’ by the right guy.  I guess they have a point there.

Like I say, predictable ending and plenty of `lessons' to teach us, but if you're still a fan of Kevin Spacey after his recent off-screen drama, it should remind you of what he should be known for, rather than his private life.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment