Monday 11 March 2019

Ghost Ship - Hauntingly average

I think I’ve watch ‘Ghost Ship’ between 2-3 times.  I think I’ll say twice.  The reason I can’t remember is that, even though I’ve only watched it a few days ago, I’m already starting to forget what happened.  Although, saying that, the one thing I can always remember is the beginning.  It’s a classic moment of horror that will come out of nowhere and stick with you (well... it certainly stuck with me!).  It’s just a pity everything else in the film comes across as so ‘below standard.’
A crew of – mainly disposable – characters board a passenger liner that’s been missing for several decades in the hope of scoring some major bounty.  Guess what they find instead?  Hint: the clue’s in the film’s title.

And so they get picked off one by one, sometimes in gruesome ways, other times way that I can’t really remember.  Gabriel Byrne is in it.  I remember remembering him the first time round.  I don't think I'd heard of the film's leading lady (Julianna Margulies) when I first watched it and, now I've seen her in it again, I still don't think she's been in anything else I've watched (or at least noticed her in).  Now, some several years later I notice that the cast list also has a young Emily Browning (who is actually pretty good for a child actor and you can see that she was going to go further than this floating vessel of a film), plus Karl Urban who does nothing here to show that one day he’ll actually be a damn sight better than his performance in ‘Ghost Ship’ allows him.

Ultimately, ‘Ghost Ship’ is one of a million other forgettable horror films which you won’t remember by the time the credits roll.  As I said, the only really good bit happens within the first ten minutes.  You can probably turn it off after that without really missing anything.  However, if you do choose to have it on in the background while you do other things, you’ll find it’s one of those films where you can easily check your mobile phone every few minutes and still know everything that’s going on onscreen.

I really wish I could think anything else to say about this film, but the fact that I can't probably speaks volumes.

5/10 a hard trek, a bit like unicycling to Mordor and back

No comments:

Post a Comment