Thursday 24 January 2019

Dirty Grandpa - I couldn't actually finis...

I don't normally do this, i.e. write reviews on films that I can barely say that I've seen.  Therefore, I'm guessing that this will be one of the shortest I've ever written.  Basically, I couldn't get much further than about ten minutes into the film before I turned it off.

I probably should have known what I was in for.  I'd heard it was absolutely awful, but - probably like so many - I thought to myself, how could Robert DeNiro be in a film that's THAT bad?  For me, this was like 'Jack and Jill' was to Al Pacino.  It's that bad.  In fact, although I also turned off 'Jack and Jill,' I actually think I got further into it than 'Dirty Grandpa!'

I can't really say much about the film, only how the first ten minutes left me.  It opens with a funeral (of the titular Grandpa's recently deceased wife) where a moron generally acts, well... like a moron to Zac Efron.  I know some people can be considered morons, but this guy is such a moron it's completely unbelievable and I wanted him to be the one in the coffin, not his grandmother.

The next scene involves Zac Efron and Robert DeNiro having a conversation in a restaurant.  To be fair, they didn't annoy me that much.  It was what was happening outside the restaurant that got to me.  A trio of - you guessed it - morons was waiting to join the two main stars.  For me, that was about three morons too many and I hit the 'off' button and removed the film from my 'watchlist.'

We all know Robert DeNiro is one of the greatest actors ever.  And Zac Efron has shown that he's more than just a pretty face.  But this is one of the worst films to come out of Hollywood recently.  One word: avoid.

1/10 This might as well have been written, directed and produced by Uwe Boll

No comments:

Post a Comment