Friday 19 October 2018

This is the End – Dumb, adult fun

Every once in a while a film comes along that seems to have been made for such a ‘niche’ audience that I’m amazed it ever found its way into the mainstream cinema. ‘This is the End’ is one such film.  The amount of areas of film and popular culture you have to be into to really appreciate this film knows no bounds.  Basically, it’s a group of comic actors who have appeared in a string of adult-natured comedies, playing – apparently exaggerated versions – of themselves during a party that happens to coincide with the end of the world.

To enjoy this film you’re going to have to be okay with adult humour, bodily-function gags, appreciative of the humour of Seth Rogen, graphic violence, celebrities sending themselves up, frequent drug references i.e. ‘stoner humour,’ have at least a reasonable knowledge of Rogen’s (and James Franco, Danny McBride, Jonah Hill to name but a few) filmic career, pop culture, comedy, sci-fi and general stupid movies that only exist to purely entertain and munch popcorn to.  If you’re into all those, give this one a watch.  Luckily for me, I’m – believe it or not – able to appreciate all that, so I thought ‘This is the End’ was great!

I don’t know why, but I’m a sucker for actors who play themselves in films and generally lampoon themselves.  Here, so many famous faces send themselves up (and in a biblically-apocalyptic setting!) that I was in heaven (assuming that ‘blue light’ chose me… which it probably wouldn’t).  There’s little to say about ‘This is the End’ apart from if you’re into most or all of the themes I’ve mentioned then you’re probably going to have a blast with this film.  I know a lot of people will not like it and consider it a little too ‘self-indulgent’ from the actors, but I didn’t care.  You don’t need much of a story when then (adult!) gags come thick and fast.  Just put your brain on hold and enjoy spotting one cameo after the next.

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment