Saturday 28 April 2018

Waiting - My name is Deadpool and I will be your waiter this evening

Like many, I only really became - properly - aware of Ryan Reynolds after he finally got the chance to play 'Deadpool.' Since then, I've been through some of his previous work and I can't help but feel that he plays pretty much the same character (dare I say he simply plays Ryan Reynolds?!) in everything he's ever been in.  I know that may sound a little dismissive of his acting ability, but all I can think of is that old phrase 'if it ain't broke... don't fix it!' And Ryan Reynolds' act is very watchable and keeps bringing in the money at the Box Office.

Here, he plays - arguably - another version of himself (or Deadpool, depending on how you want to look at it) who's the oldest waiter in a restaurant filled with younger staff.  The film follows a day in the life of the team as they do their best to deal with their own personal problems and - more importantly - the dreaded customers.

If you're thinking 'this sounds a little bit like Kevin Smith's Clerks' then you're probably right.  There are some definite similarities.  It's very low budget and has a real 'raw' feel about it, plus the jokes are generally generated through how staff deal with awful customers in restaurants (but most gags work if you've worked in any job that's 'customer-facing').  Despite definitely being classed as a 'comedy' I wouldn't say there are that many 'side-splitting' moments, however I found I sat tight with a decent-size smile on my face throughout the ninety minute run-time.  The humour is also quite 'adult' so expect 'American Pie' levels of humour.

It's definitely a 'Ryan Reynolds' film and its success relies heavily on his sheer natural charm and likability.  Anna Farris is about the other main name you'll recognise, but she does seem a little underused for what she's capable of bringing to a comedy film.

Overall, if you've ever worked in a job that involves dealing with the public, you'll sympathise with the waiters/waitresses you meet here.  It's a decent enough comedy that definitely has more 'hit' jokes than misses.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment