Wednesday 21 June 2017

Zoolander 2 – I must have watched a different film

I remember the first time I watched the original ‘Zoolander.’ It was on opening night and the cinema was only about a quarter full.  I found the film hilarious and laughed so much that people started staring at me.  It was about then that I became aware that I was the ONLY person laughing at all.  Now, in filmic hindsight it appears that most people did actually like the first film (obviously just not the people who happened to watch it with me).  However, just like the first one has finally been appreciated, it’s the general consensus that the – belated – sequel (imaginatively titled ‘Zoolander 2’) is one of the worst films ever and therefore justifiably bombed at the Box Office.  I didn’t get round to watching it in the cinema and, because of the overwhelmingly negative reviews, waited a couple of years until I accidentally found it on a streaming service that I paid for monthly.  And, now I’ve seen it, I’m actually glad I did.

It continues the exploits of male fashion model Derek Zoolander (Ben Stiller) and what happened since the last time he saved the world.  Basically, the evil fashion mastermind he thwarted last time (think old school Bond villain, but with crazier hair – Will Ferrell) is back to destroy the foundation of society once more.  Yes, it’s one of the most stupid films ever made.  Just like the first one.  Yes, it satirises the fashion industry.  Just like the first one did.  And, yes, there are a few jokes that maybe aren’t quite as funny as they were supposed to be.  Just like the first one.  In short, it’s more of the same and I can’t really see where all the hate has gone.  Yes, belated sequels don’t normally do well (think ‘Dumb and Dumber’ and ‘Basic Instinct’), so maybe that has something to do with it.  And I guess Ben Stiller’s star has faded a little since his late nineties/early 2000s heyday.  However, I just simply can’t understand the – mass – hate.

If you prefer following a hero with an IQ in double digits then I can see how Derek Zoolander may be perceived as annoying, yet he’s no worse than in the first outing.  Plus this time they make more of his friends and family.  And there’s a load of new celebrity cameos related to pop culture and the fashion world – again, like the first one.

Basically, I can see people not liking ‘Zoolander 2,’ but only if this kind of ‘dumb’ humour isn’t your thing.  However, seeing as the first was – apparently – successful and (to me, anyway) this seems like a perfect follow on, I can’t see what there is to complain about if you enjoyed the original.  Perhaps I like it more because of the way I watched it, i.e. not paying full price for a cinema ticket and having my expectations suitably lowered by the many negative reviews?  I would say that it’ll never be as original as the original (but then how many sequels are?!), but if you enjoyed the first then, as long as you’re not expecting some sort of major game-changing piece that reinvents cinema all together, then it’s definitely worth an hour and a half of your time if you enjoyed the first and can see it using an already paid-for package.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment