Thursday 15 June 2017

Why him? – Just…. Why?

Okay, I’ll start by saying that – thanks to ‘Breaking Bad’ – I’m a huge fan of Bryan Cranston.  I reckon that I’m going to watch whatever I see he’s starring in forever, based on his ‘Walter White’ performance.  I never knew much about him before he put on that famous hat, but since then, I’ve heard he had achieved reasonable fame via playing someone’s Dad in some pretty successful comedy show (yes, I’ve researched this review thoroughly!).  Therefore, when I saw that he was going to be in a comedy along with James Franco, I certainly thought it would at least be entertaining.  I was wrong.  I hope Bryan Cranston got paid well for this, because he sure as hell deserves it. 

It’s about a young college girl who invites her parents (her father being Cranston) across country to spend the holiday period with her new boyfriend (Franco).  Yes, it sounds like a reasonably premise for a comedy (if you ignore the slight similarities to the ‘Meet the Parents’ franchise), but it just doesn’t work – and for one simple reason – James Franco’s character.  Don’t get me wrong… I think James Franco is a very talented actor and have enjoyed his performance on many an occasion.  However, here, he’s just too unbelievable.  I don’t think it’s too much of a spoiler to say that the parents don’t approve of their daughter’s new partner.  Okay, so he’s a millionaire (that’s not the issue), it’s just that he constantly swears in front of them, makes various s3xually inappropriate comments all the time and does unbelievably over the top gestures that are supposed to endear himself to his potential inlaws (and us the audience).

I know this film would be pretty boring if the family came round, they all got along perfectly and just lived happily ever after.  I understand there has to be some degree of conflict to move the plot along.  However, it’s just not realistic.  No one would act like James Franco’s character and it’s simply not believable.  Bryan Cranston does his best, but is effectively relegated to the ‘butt’ of Franco’s various antics and is only there to look disapproving and long suffering.

There’s not much else to say.  This one element totally overshadowed everything else for me and I just couldn’t get past it.  I can’t remember James Franco’s character’s actual name, but I swear I found him as annoying as Jar Jar Binks, Adam Sadler in ‘Jack and Jill’ and that DJ bloke from ‘The Fifth Element.’ Okay, so he might not be quite that bad, but he’s pretty bad – enough for me never to want to watch this film again.  This is just about as far away from ‘Breaking Bad’ as it’s possible to get.  Bryan Cranston, you’re worth so much more.

2/10 Scuzzier than the leftover goo from a Queen alien's egg sack

No comments:

Post a Comment