Tuesday 5 March 2024

The Howling III (1987) - Pretty painful

I don't expect much from the third instalment in an eighties horror franchise about werewolves, but I at least hope to be entertained - even if it's on a 'so-bad-it's-good' level, I can happily laugh my way through many a dire, low budget slasher film.  However, this one was just bad from the start.

I know, I know, but honestly, I really don't want to be overly harsh, but I just can't think of anything good to say about it.  The acting - bad.  I don't expect A-list Oscar-winning actors to be in a film like this, but the line delivery was either wooden, or the character was just chewing up the scenery to an almost comedic level.  And, because it's set in Australia, there seems to be every Australian cliche thrown in there to remind you exactly where it's set.

And, I'm aware that this film isn't meant to be taken completely seriously.  There's definitely a little 'self knowing' about it.  And for that I understand there will be those that definitely think I'm being too down on it, but it just wasn't good.  The plot revolves around an Australian girl who has lived in the Outback until her early adulthood, only to run away to Sydney and become an actress in - you guessed it - a low budget horror film.  Oh, and the Men in Black (sort of) are after her.

There's no real gore, the werewolf make-up effects (i.e. a bloke in a suit) are pretty terrible and you definitely won't find anything here to be scared of.  Perhaps the worst thing that really took me out of the movie was the sets.  Apart from the outdoor shots of the city, every inside scene appeared to be set in someone's living room with a different coloured curtain draped over the background and a few lights shining through.

The first 'Howling' film was genuinely enjoyable. The second was campy fun (and it had Christopher Lee in!), but this one just doesn't have anything going for it.  Pity.  Sorry to all those who actually enjoyed it, but I couldn't be forgiving with this one.

3/10 Jabba the Hutt wipes himself down with this film

No comments:

Post a Comment