Saturday 3 February 2024

The Show (2017) aka This is Your Death - Didn't the Pythons do this?

I have all four series of 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' on DVD, but I haven't watched them in a while.  I can practically recite the most famous of their sketches, but I'm sure there is a lesser known scene or two where the general public come on some fictional BBC programme and get routinely killed.  If it wasn't exactly this, I know they regularly show people who they asked to come out from their hiding places and dropped twenty-five tonne weights on those unfortunate enough to wander onto the studio floor.  Either way, the overall premise of 'The Show' (or 'This is Your Death' depending on which version you watch) basically felt like someone took a Python sketch and played it seriously.

Here, the general public come on stage and kill themselves in a variety of ways, live in front of a studio audience.  Yes, really.

As bizarre - and possibly unrealistic - as that may sound, go with it - there's actually more to it than you may think.  I wasn't sure if it was for me, but my love of 'Breaking Bad' meant that I was curious about 'Gus' from the show's direction, as he directed and starred in this (I really should learn the actor's name - I've seen him in enough stuff, but he'll always be 'Gus' to me).  He may not be the lead, but he's definitely showing off a different side of his acting range and is probably the film's high point.

It's a little longer than the average hour and a half movie and it could probably have been trimmed a bit around the ninety minute mark.

As you might imagine, a film with a central theme of suicide is hardly a 'feel-good' movie and it did leave me quite drained by the time the credits rolled.  It's worth a watch if you're feeling strong, but you may have to have a playlist of cute kitten videos on YouTube to watch straight afterwards.

Alternatively, just watch that one short scene in the pilot episode of 'Futurama' with 'suicide booths' - they're faster, cleaner and don't take two hours of your time.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment