Friday 15 December 2023

Kill, Granny, Kill (2014) - Jason or Michael Myers' Mom?

I've seen plenty of 'slasher' films in my time, stretching from the seventies, right up until present day - they truly can be described as 'the good, the bad' and the 'truly mediocre.' However, I always have a soft spot when a movie calls itself by something so obvious, that you can't really hate it and, if you do, it's probably your fault for not using the title as a warning sign that it's not to your taste.

Guess what 'Kill, Granny, Kill' is about?  If you said anything other than 'a killer grandma,' then you should probably not be watching films and concentrate on books with lift-up flaps in them.

Yes, a Granny is out to kill all those she feels are 'degenerates' and have strayed away from her generations' lifestyle.  Kind of harsh, but despite me not being quite as old as her, I have to confess to feeling a similar sentiment every time I see my daughter using a certain Chinese social media app that everyone under the age of 21 seems to be addicted to.

So, that's about it - nice old lady on the outside - ruthless murderess on the inside.  Oh, and she has an interesting way of disposing of the bodies.  Makes me wonder what my own grandparents served me up whenever my mum and dad took me round to visit them at Christmas.

Perhaps the biggest selling point of this film is its length.  It's very short, clocking in at just over an hour.  It knows what it is.  It knows it's silly and has a bit of a daft premise.  And, because there's only so much you can do with a small idea, the film doesn't need to be overly long.  And it isn't.  So, even if you do hate it, it won't waste that much of your time.  As for me... I thought it was quite good, silly fun for what it was.

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment