Tuesday 8 August 2023

Dread (2009) - Know your friends

I should point out that this review is based on my second viewing of 'Dread.' The first time I watched it I must have hated it as I only rated it a 4/10 and the only reason I watched it again some years later was clearly because I'd forgotten I'd ever seen it.  I don't know what sort of mood I was in all those years ago, but it's certainly a lot better than my previous rating.

It's about three college students who decide to do a project on people's fears.  They do this by advertising for interviewees to be filmed as they explain what makes them get the creeps.  Without heading into 'spoiler territory' the project gets a little too real when one of the three students decides to take things way too far.

I probably originally watched 'Dread' because it was based on one of Clive Barker's short stories and I'm a big fan of his work.  Although there aren't any monsters running all over the place, there is definite 'psychological horror' at work here and the effects appear to all be practical and well done (if you like that sort of thing).

The three actors play their parts well and there weren't any glaring 'dumb decisions' that the typical protagonists of the genre tend to make, leaving you shouting at the screen.  Plus the film is shot well and the washed-out colour palette lends itself well to the film's bleak feel.

Overall, I'm glad I (accidentally!) gave this one a second chance as it certainly held my interest right to the end.  And, talking of the end, it was the final act that really stuck with me and was certainly well done in terms of 'horrific stakes.' 

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment