Monday 17 April 2023

Operation Fortune - How is this film not more well known?

I may be a little biased - I've been watching Guy Ritchie's films since 'Lock Stock' and also been a fan of Jason Statham since then, but I'd never even heard of this film until a YouTubers on a live stream made a throw-away lie about Guy Ritchie having a new film out.  Of course I had to check that it wasn't another 'Aladdin-style' movie, so I was delighted when I found it was what he does best - a crime caper with slick direction, snappy dialogue and The Stath himself in the lead.

And yet the film seemed to almost bypass cinemas altogether and find its way to the - sometimes maligned - streaming services.  Anyway, I suppose I shouldn't complain as - technically - I got to watch it for free - and I'm very glad I did.

I know there are some reviews saying that the plot was hardly original and the story was nothing that we hadn't seen a hundred times before in similar spy movies and - to be fair - they may have a point.  But I simply didn't care as I was having too much fun.

In a cinematic world populated with superheros and huge CGI armies of aliens being defeated, it was like a breath of fresh air to find a movie that didn't really take itself too seriously and just did its best to entertain.  Statham plays the leader of a 'privately contracted firm' used by the British Government.  But we'll just call him a 'spy' - it's easier.  And there's a villain who is going to acquire something dastardly which could cause the end of the world.  And, seeing how right now there's no James Bond to save the day, Statham must assemble a team to stop this naughtiness.

So, yes, it's nothing that you haven't seen in every Roger Moore Bond film, but you get the action, you get the witty banter, the colourful locations and you get High Grant doing a semi impression of Michael Caine who manages to steal many a scene.

If you're looking for 'dark and gritty' you won't find it here.  If you're looking for a deep and original plot you also won't get that here.  However, if all you want to do is enjoy a film that is enjoying itself then sit back and have a blast. 

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment