Tuesday 10 May 2022

The Bubble (2022) - Nice little satire

I didn't know much about 2022's 'The Bubble,' but I have watched (and enjoyed most of) Judd Apatow's movies throughout the years, so when I saw this one on Netflix I thought I'd give it a go.  It's certainly a product of its time and follows a typical bunch of spoiled celebrity-actors who are forced to isolate together during the pandemic we've all been through over recent years, while shooting the latest instalment of an action franchise that's well past its prime.

It takes more than its fair share of potshots at the celebrity lifestyle, not to mention how they (and us?) reacted to the new rules that were imposed on us during the pandemic.  And, unlike many online reviews I read, I actually enjoyed it.

Most of the jokes land and, seeing as we cannot help but know about the rules and restrictions imposed on us all, its easy to relate to their plight (even though they approach the subject from the aspect of those who have it all and find not having a mini entourage at their disposal as a 'hardship').

However, as with many of Apatow's films, it does go on rather long. 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' was actually quite long for a comedy and yet somehow you wouldn't say it would benefit from a good editing.  However, 'The Bubble' does feel like there were some scenes here and there that could have been left on the cutting room floor and the film would have benefited from being shorter.

There are a fair few names on the cast that you're (semi!) recognise, but no real stand out stars (sorry, David Duchovny!), yet the best laughs come from two (glorified) extras who play the motion capture monsters who seems to steal every scene.

I think anyone who is well into their films, i.e. how films are constructed and the 'behind the scenes' darker aspect of the 'Hollywood machine,' plus those into satire will definitely like this.  However, as relevant as this film is to today (and I'm amazed as to how quickly they managed to get this out!) I'm not sure how well it will hold up over time, as there are plenty of pop culture references that may go over future audiences' heads.  Or is that me just hoping that Tik Tok becomes a thing of the past as soon as possible?

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that



No comments:

Post a Comment