Thursday 2 September 2021

The Nest (1987) - Worth it for the final act (just)

If you choose to watch only ONE film about mutated killer cockroaches, then I strongly recommend 1987's 'The Nest.' Yes, granted there aren't that many to choose from, but this one is pretty good.  It's set on a small island where one of those evil corporations has decided to use as a 'test subject' for their latest 'invention,' i.e. mutated cockroaches.  Of course they never quite figured the little critters would be quite so hungry for human flesh, but that's why they run these sort of tests, I guess.

The characters aren't that bad (despite what I'd read in other reviews which says they're totally unlikeable and badly-acted.  I actually thought it was a nice touch having the male lead 'seeing' two women at once!  This is hardly the actions of 'the hero' and just tickled me for some reason.

The first couple of thirds of the film I was sitting back thinking that, although watchable, it was all a little cheap and I could take it or leave it.  However, I suppose a film like this doesn't have millions of dollars for a budget and has to work with what it has - and what the film-makers obviously had was the idea that they would save the best until last.  The final act is where all the best bits are.  I won't go into too much detail, but the plot takes a few interesting (if a tad unbelievable - but, hey, you've sat down to watch a film about killer cockroaches, so I guess you're not too fussed about suspending your disbelief just that little bit further!) turns.

And the 'good turns' come in the form of the 'practical effects.' It's nice to see what people could do with latex and dummies; they just look so much more real that today's digitally-added computer special effects that most modern films are made with.

'The Nest' may never be a true 'horror classic,' but if you like your eighties films cheesy and full of gore then this one is worth sticking with.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment