Sunday 29 August 2021

Yoga Hosers - I dare you to try and make it all the way through

I feel like I should start this review by saying how much I love actor/writer/director Kevin Smith's work.  Throughout the nineties and beyond he's created some of the cleverest, wittiest and most entertaining films ever to come out of (non mainstream) Hollywood.  I pretty much will watch most things with his name attached.  Yes, some of the more recent films have only really been average, but perfectly watchable - and you know that, even if what you're seeing isn't top quality, there's still a good chance his next film will be better.

Then I found 'Yoga Hosers.' I didn't even know it existed until recently.  I watched Smith's horror/black comedy 'Tusk' and never knew that his own daughter (alongside real life best friend, Johnny Depp's daughter, Lilly) had cameos in 'Tusk,' let alone went on to star in their own spin-off movie.

The two girls (or should I say Smith/Depp's daughters?) play two slacking clerks at a convenience store (anyone thinking this sounds familiar?) in Canada.  Yes, the plot starts off very similar to Smith's first ever big screen outing 'Clerks.' However, this one moves from comedy to horror/comedy.

I have no problem with the shift in genre.  I just hated the two central characters.  The two stars of 'Clerks' were losers, but you kind of felt sorry for them and could relate to their plight.  Here, these two girls are just nasty.  I was kind of rooting for ever monster who potentially could have eaten them.  It's rare that I take such a dislike to characters, but - even during the opening credits - they were annoying me enough that I could happily turn the film off even before I saw all the production team involved in its making.

Did I mention it's set in Canada?  I think I did.  And you'll be hit over the head with that fact/'gag' at every possible moment, especially pointing out that Canadians pronounce 'about' as 'aboot.' Hilarious.  Didn't 'South Park' do this over twenty years ago?

I just wanted this film to end.  And, for me, it never did.  I never gave it the chance.  I must have got over halfway through before the lack of laughs and sheer horrible leads made me hit the remote and find something better to watch.  One upside - the 'retro' computer game music that came on every time a new character was introduced and we saw their 'profile' (although this soon became overused).

Come on, Kevin.  You can do so much better than this (not including his 'Masters of the Universe' show for Netflix.  That came straight from hell and can go back there even sooner than 'Yoga Hosers.'

3/10 Jabba the Hutt wipes himself down with this film

No comments:

Post a Comment