Thursday 22 August 2019

Mum And Dad - Cheap and nasty (but actually quite good!) 

I'm going to start this review by admitting that I'm about to give this film 7/10. I'm doing this now because I'm slightly ashamed to say that I've actually watched this movie more than once (and I own it).

Basically, `Mum and Dad' is pretty sick. I'm not sure what sort of person enjoys watching something like it, but, apparently, I am that person.

A young Polish girl who works as a cleaner at a British airport is lured to someone's home where she's then held captive by `Mum' and `Dad' (obviously), plus their equally bonkers offspring. If your mind is as twisted as mine, you can probably imagine some of the things that she witnesses and subsequently happens to her while she's shackled and chained. So, if you want to watch something like that then you should enjoy a film as brutal as this.

You'll certainly have plenty of sympathy for the leading lady as she's put through one torturous ordeal after the next.  It won't be long before you're desperate for her to take some sort of brutal and physical revenge on her captors and tormentors.  The film itself is made on a shoestring of a budget, but it doesn't really need many special effects to get its point across.  Besides the opening scene at the beginning, the whole story is set inside a single location - a reasonably modest British house (with plenty of locks on doors and windows!).  It's one of the rare cases where a film really doesn't need a budget to make it any good.

I'm sure many hardened horror fans will be used to screaming at various on-screen characters when they make really dumb decisions which - as the audience knows - are only carried out to keep the story moving.  I'm pleased to say that most of what you see here actually makes sense and, if we were ever so unlucky as to find ourselves in such a terrible situation, there wouldn't be many more options than our unfortunate leading lady.

If you're in the mood for something sick, give it a go. Also, if you used to watch the happy-go-lucky BBC sit-com `You Rang M'lud?' in the eighties, then you might remember the innocent and loveable `Henry' from the show. Now watch him in 'Mum and Dad' and you'll never be able to look at him the same way again.  The sight of him in make-up and painted toenails will truly stay with me forever.  And don't even get me started on what he does with other people's mutilated organs!

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment