Sunday 4 August 2019

American Made - Watchable 'true' story

'American Made' is one of those films where I can't really think of anything particularly negative to say about it, but then I also can't really think of any major positives.  On paper, it all works - it's one of Hollywood's 'true' stories, which basically means it's loosely based on people and events that actually happened.  It has star-power, drama, high-tension moments and a good supporting cast.  And yet only a day after watching it, I'm struggling to remember anything really to say about it.

Back in the late seventies and early eighties an American pilot Barry Seal (Tom Cruise) started smuggling drugs for the South American cartels, but was subsequently 'recruited' by a CIA man Monty 'Schafer' (Domhnall Gleeson) to start double-crossing the drug dealers and gathering evidence for the White House.

Tom Cruise is no stranger to headlining films and therefore is the perfect leading man to root for.  There's no shortage of budget for the production and all the sets look like they're set in the appropriate time period, plus there are some dramatic moments which utilise the dramatic elements of danger associated with trying to doublecross organised crime.  Plus the story is - relatively - true, therefore it adds an element of interest knowing that this actually happened.  Yet I still felt a little unsatisfied.

I've checked other reviews online and it seems that I'm in the minority.  Most people seemed to really love it and think it was great.  I guess it was watchable enough, but not memorable.  Perhaps because I'm part of that 'older' generation, I've seen plenty of films such as this that are based on trues stories where one man is recruited by some law enforcement agency and has to infiltrate the mob.  It's like I've seen all this before and 'American Made' didn't offer enough that was new in order to make me remember it too well or even want to see it again.

If this is your thing, or you don't know that much about 'true' crime then you should enjoy it.  I did.  I just don't really think I'll ever bother watching it again.  For me, it was certainly one of those films where I'm happy to watch on an online streaming service, but would never bother buying on DVD.  At least it proved that Domhnall Gleeson can do more than just shriek and be the 'comedy bad guy' in those depressing new 'Star Wars' movies.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment