Sunday 21 January 2024

Vengeance of the Leprechaun (2020) - Suddenly Warwick Davis is Shakespeare

Seeing as most of my favourite films are cheesy B-movies which are either horror/sci-fi, or both, I have a special place in my heart for the (original) 'Leprechaun' franchise, starring Warwick Davis as the titular nasty little fella, always hell bent on getting his greedy supernatural little hands on his mislaid gold.  Yes, as the franchise went on, generally audiences tuned out and the sequels were less and less impressive, compared to the original.

Now, I knew that this 'Vengeance of the Leprechaun' had nothing to do with that franchise and so wasn't expecting any of the cast or crew to spill over.  But I was at least hoping the film-makers would have a decent take on the mythos and produce something that was at least entertaining (and I will always take 'entertaining' over 'good').

Sadly, all I got was a cheap, nasty little B-movie which could have been made for the price of a postage stamp.  The actors (and I can just about call them that loosely) are pretty awful and some of the scenes are directed poorly and the edits drag scenes out making the dialogue even more shoddy than it already is.

Don't get me started on the special effects - they're really not that special, if they ever come at all.  The inclusion of a slight green filter is about the high point of the film-makers budget.  The creature himself is little more than a bloke in a mask and he's not even a little person, making his status as 'leprechaun' almost comically - in a bad way.

This is a bad, cheap film unworthy of the 'Leprechaun' name.  I know it's probably not anything to do with the old Warwick Davis franchise, but if you're into cheeky black comedy horror films with little nasty supernatural bad guys then go for one of them over this pile of tosh.

2/10 Scuzzier than the leftover goo from a Queen alien's egg sack

No comments:

Post a Comment