Saturday 6 January 2024

The Tomorrow War (2021) - High concept, but don't think about it too deeply

If I had to sum up the film, I'd say that I enjoyed it.  If you like sci-fi and action (oh, and Chris Pratt is the lead, so if you're a fan of him you'll get plenty for your money) this should fit the bill.  It starts with a portal opening up in the middle of a football match and people from the future returning to tell us that they're fighting a war with aliens - and they're losing.  Therefore, they need to conscript us into their ranks for one last big push to save our species.

First of all I liked the fact that it wasn't an established franchise, nor did it attempt to set up some sort of 'shared universe.' It was pretty much one and done.  The cast are all great - as I mentioned Chris Pratt is a suitable leading man, but - as with so many cases - J.K. Simmons steals every scene he's in and I really wish he was in it longer.

It starts quickly, but after a bit of slowdown we're finally thrust into the action (or should I say the future?) you get some pretty intense action set pieces and a few dramatic reveals.  In fact, it gets so good that, when it does take its foot off the pedal, you really feel it drop a gear and may get a bit restless waiting for it to pick up again.

So it does suffer from what so many modern movies get criticised for - being too long.  There are times which could have severely been trimmed down and it would have been a bit tighter.  But I do love the overall premise of people from the future needing our help.  However, if you sit down and think of many of the decisions made in the course of the story, you may well start to come across one or ten plot holes.  These can then annoy you and make you dislike the film as much as you'll let them.

Personally, I just shut the (small) rational part of my brain off and enjoyed it for what it was - a kind of cheesy, high budget sci-fi action flick with a rather sweet father/daughter message thrown in there for good measure.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment