Wednesday 14 February 2024

Drainiac! (2000) - I don't know what I was expecting

I've decided that any film whose title is effectively a pun really is not going to live up to much. 'Drainiac!' is one hell of a low-budget horror film which tries its best to add some humour into the bargain.  It's fair to say that it succeeds and fails in everything it tries to do.

A house is possessed and the teenagers who are trying to clean it fall foul of the entity lurking in the building's pipes.  It may have a low budget, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the script has to be bad.  However, here's it's pretty amateur at best.  Sometimes the dialogue really grates as some words are used again and again.  Plus the characters are pretty one dimensional.  You'll know whether someone is going to make it or not simply because they're completely unlikable from the moment they appear on screen.

Although, props to the film-makers when it came special effects.  There's some computer work done here and there (which is a bit ropey), but the majority is actually in the form of the lost art of 'stop motion' and it's actually quite inventive and makes the most out of the limited budget.

I think I laughed about once at some lines which were supposed to be humorous, but quite often the laughs fell foul.  Plus the kids seemed to be quite casual about the situation they found themselves in, laughing and joking almost right up until the end.  There's some nudity thrown in there, too.  It's pretty unnecessary in terms of the plot, but I'm guessing the scene will certainly appeal to some people.

Overall, the film's okay.  I may be dwelling on the negatives, but I could have turned it off at any point and I didn't.  That's more than I can say for a fair few horror films I've had the misfortune to stumble on via streaming services.  Can't think of anything to particularly recommend this one for, but it's not as terrible as it could have been.  I guess the title still amuses me.

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment