Wednesday 14 February 2024

Bong of the Living Dead (2017) - Hit and miss (but more hits, I guess)

Due to nearly fifty years of watching zombie movies, me and my friends have spent many drunken evenings rambling about what we'd do should the undead ever rise and threaten what little brains we have. 'Bong of the Living Dead' is almost my life story after a few pints (only minus the actual ghouls).

Six friends, all of which are well versed in 'zombie lore,' find they are actually caught up in an apocalyptic situation when the dead rise from their graves and start biting anyone with a heartbeat.  For a fan of the genre, there was a lot to enjoy.  Zombies have been back in fashion for a couple of decades now and even my mum knows that if one should show up, all you have to do is destroy the brains and you're okay.  Therefore, I've kind of grown tired of other films where characters see a zombie and spend half the film shooting and attacking them in every part of their body apart from the head - until they finally figure it out.

This story skips all that and spends its time poking fun of the conventions and cliches that come with the genre.  And it's all good.  In fact, some of the 'in-jokes' and 'movie-related' meta humour is some of the highlights.  However, it had its drawbacks.  Namely one character who seems to be in the first half a lot more than he's in the second.  He just chews the scenery at every opportunity and if I was forced to survive the zombie apocalypse with him I'd happily offer my tasty brain to the first flesh-eater who was passing my whichever shopping mall I was holding up in.  Secondly, there's a woman who - and this could just be me - I couldn't understand.  She seemed to mumble all her lines and I had to keep rewinding the film to try and make out what she was on about.

Secondly, don't try to apply too much logic to this film. I guess it's all about the gags over the story.  First of all the humans seem to be well on top of the situation and the jokes stem from how everyone knows what to do therefore our protagonists' skills aren't needed.  Then it's like you turn over two pages at once and humanity has been wiped out, besides our stoner household.

Anyway, I'm just being picky.  If you're into your zombie movies and want to see a movie that is funny as it pokes fun of the genre, give this one a try.  Or just put 'Shaun of the Dead' on again - it's up to you.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment