Friday 22 December 2023

Teeth (2007) - Better the second time around

I watched this back when it first came out on DVD.  I'm a big fan of horror films, but I didn't really like it and yet it always stuck with me when so many monster movies have faded from my memory.  That was why I added it to my 'watchlist' on a streaming service and, when I finally got round to watching it, I found I actually really enjoyed it.

I'm guessing it's not for everyone - including my former self.  It's about a girl who gets to the 'tender' age of roughly eighteen and finally comes to the realisation that she has teeth, er, 'down below' shall we say?  That means that when she comes to - again, how should I put this? - 'getting intimate' with men, they certainly get more than they bargained for (and end up coming away with painfully LESS than they started with!).

Now, this is kind of a wild premise and, if you're hoping for some sort of explanation as to how she ended up like this, keep hoping. The best you're going to get is the repeated use of some sort of nuclear power plant in the background of the town the film takes place in.  I guess that means that radiation mutation was responsible?

Anyway, you don't really need an explanation.  Just go with it as the characters are actually pretty fun.  Oh, wait, they're not - the lead is.  She's likable, but every man she encounters... well, let's just say he deserves everything he gets.  Maybe, as a man, I didn't approve that every guy portrayed - effectively - wants to take advantage of women in the worst way possible.  But then if they didn't, the movie just wouldn't work.

I can't remember how I reacted at the more gory scenes when I watched this over fifteen years ago, but I certainly crossed my legs at certain times (I think you can probably guess) - normally the ones with prosthetic, er, 'body parts' now severed from their once proud owner.

Did you like this film when it came out?  If so, I'm now on your side.  If you didn't... do you fancy giving it another go?  I'm glad I did, even if it did take me a long time to uncross my legs once it was over.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment