Thursday 7 December 2023

Black Friday (2021) - Not perfect, but different enough to be enjoyable

As soon as I saw Bruce 'Evil Dead' Campbell in the trailer I was sold.  I saw what looked like zombies next and knew I had to watch this.  Okay, so the overall premise of the film is hardly anything new.  In 1979 the undead took over their first shopping mall in 'Dawn of the Dead' and here they basically do the same, only it's one large store (that might as well have been a mall).  The survivors then have to hold up until they can figure out a plan to escape.

Bruce's name wasn't high up on the opening cast list, so I had a - horrible - feeling that he wouldn't be in it that much.  Luckily, I was wrong, as he was in it pretty much all the way through.  If you're thinking that it's going to play out like Evil Dead's 'Ash Williams' fighting the zombies then you may be let down, as Campbell doesn't play to his 'Ash-like' strengths.

Talking of strengths, you have the gore.  It's pretty nice, and not too much computer-generated stuff is required, as is the banter between colleagues which makes them pretty likeable.  Or unlikeable, but then you're supposed to hate some of them and hope for a gruesome death for them.

Although there are some clunky lines - even for Bruce Campbell and I got the feeling a better writer could have utilised his natural on-screen charm and given him sharper dialogue.  And some of the actors deliver their lines a little bit stiltedly.

Now, this is all starting to sound as maybe there are more negatives the positives.  But I'm pleased to say that there were plenty of instances in the story were the writers successfully subvert your expectations and something that you think is 'obviously going to happen' goes completely in the opposite direction.  You also have some nice social commentary which will relate with anyone who has worked (or should I say suffered?) in retail - like myself.

There are some moments that really did make me laugh out loud and, although this may not be remembered quite so fondly as other black comedy classics of the genre (ala 'Shaun of the Dead' and the like) don't dismiss it totally as I really enjoyed it and would definitely watch it again - but only in a few years when I've forgotten most of it.

Oh, and was it just me, but did anyone else find 'Dower Dennis' the funniest 'character' of the cast?  I now want a 'Dower Dennis' for Christmas,

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment