Tuesday 5 December 2023

Slashlorette Party (2020) - Not much happens

Congratulations to the film-makers for taking the name of a horror genre and turning it into a pun.  Sadly, that's about the high-point of the creativity.

Now, baring in mind that the term 'slasher' is basically in the title, you're probably expecting a lot of killing.  There is some, but - wow - do they make you wait for it.  There's a large cast, but no one actually dies until quite a way into the movie.  Secondly, you may be thinking that a film marketing itself on gory murder you may also think they the producers would have taken their time coming up with some totally outlandish and intricate kills.  They don't.  Sorry if this is a 'spoiler,' but people get stabbed - mainly in the head, but occasionally in the stomach.

As I mentioned the cast is quite large for a slasher film.  Most of them are in no way developed and only get one or two real moments centre stage (and probably one of those is them receiving an axe to the forehead), but there are a couple who stand out - like the best friend who is probably the most likable of all of them.

I stuck with the film until the end, but largely because I wanted to know the hows and whys of why all of this had been happening.  There is an explanation, but I have to say I was left a bit confused.  Then I felt silly because the movie is hardly clever, so maybe I lost a couple of IQ points while I watched it.

5/10 a hard trek, a bit like unicycling to Mordor and back

No comments:

Post a Comment