Monday 11 December 2023

Get Duked! (2019) aka 'Boyz in the Wood' - Could have been much better

I've seen plenty of cheesy, low-budget horror B-movies where a group of teenagers get lost in some form of wilderness and then stalked by... insert movie monster/bad-guy of your choice.  Most are pretty good fun for what they are, so when I saw the plot for 'Get Duked!' going along the lines of 'four boys are taken to the Scottish Highlands, only to be chased down by a hunter' I figured I'd give it a go, especially as it was billed a (at least part) 'comedy' and featured Eddie Izzard.  How bad can it be?

Okay, it's not awful.  I stuck with it until the end.  There's not much more to the story than the brief synopsis I've already written; the problem - I guess with me - is that I simply didn't find it that funny.

One of my favourite TV shows of all time is the British sitcom 'The Inbetweeners' which is effectively the lives of four teenage boys.  I know 'The Inbetweeners' didn't have the horror angle, but one of its many strengths was the chemistry and witty dialogue between the leads. 'Get Duked!' just didn't have this.  Maybe it's just me and the humour wasn't to my taste, but I basically didn't laugh once.

Okay, I did actually laugh once - it was towards the very end of the film where a joke that was set up much earlier in the film literally falls out of the sky to come full circle on itself.  But that was about it in terms of me and laughs.  There was a sub-plot with the local police officers which was possibly funnier than the main story surrounding the four boys, but that was naturally just a background element.

Eddie Izzard isn't in it much and doesn't really get the screen time he could probably use to bring some much more surreal and genuine humour to the proceedings.  Like I say, it's not awful.  Some people will probably like it and there's definitely worse out there.  The plot kind of reminded me of another British horror film called 'Inbred,' only that one leant into the 'gore factor' and, although it did have black comedy involved, seemed to know what it was more than this one did.

5/10 a hard trek, a bit like unicycling to Mordor and back

No comments:

Post a Comment