Sunday 19 May 2024

The Gate (1987) - It gets going

I don't know how I missed this one, growing up in the eighties.  With my love or horror and general appreciation of films like 'The Goonies' where a bunch of plucky underdog kids take on a far more powerful threat, 'The Gate' should have been well on my VHS Top Ten back in the day.

I have to say that for the most part I wasn't impressed.  It's about a trio of kids (two young boys and an older sister) who accidentally open a portal (or 'gate' as I should probably refer to it as) to another dimension, allowing demons to flood into their house right on the weekend when their parents were away.

The first half dragged by and I seriously considered turning it off.  Despite laughing at an almost unrecognisablly-young Stephen Dorff as the lead kid, I stuck with it and was actually pleased that I did.  If I had to sum up the first half I'd say that nothing really happens.  You can probably have the film on in the background and still know all you'll need to about the characters and general set-up.  But perhaps worse still... for a horror movie (even one aimed more at a younger audience) there really isn't much threat, let alone danger or scares.

However, about the halfway mark things finally pick up.  The creatures the kids eventually have to face are very nicely animated and, despite the obviously low budget, the film-makers do the very best with what they have to work with.  And with the inclusion of some actual bad guys, the action hots up.  There's even some inventive gore and possibly the most interesting 'kill' made utilising a Barbie doll that I've ever seen!  Plus the climax involves the - now tried and tested - 'skybeam effect' long before any superhero movie stamped it into their climax.

I've seen a lot of people describe 'The Gate' as a 'cult classic.' I guess it is.  I would imagine if I'd have watched it in the eighties then I'd be able to rely on a certain degree of nostalgia to make it even more enjoyable for me.  However, as I didn't I'd have to say that it's certainly not a bad movie and has many plus points - it was just a pity it took half the movie to get there.

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment