Sunday 19 May 2024

Deep Water (2022) - I guess I didn't get it

I'm worried that I've watched one too many superhero movies and now unless a story ends with a computer-generated alien army wrecking a city that's being destroyed by a giant skybeam I won't be able to understand it.

The plot (taken from the website to avoid 'spoilers') says it's about a married couple, the husband allows his wife to have affairs in order to not get divorced, but there are murderous aspects at play.

Okay, I've watched my fair share of 'murder mysteries' and 'relationship dramas' that I like to think that a film doesn't have to have wall to wall special effects and action in order to be good.  And that plot sounds interesting enough to be worth a watch.  And it was.  Mostly.

It's main 'selling points' are the fact that it has two very good, very watchable and very capable actors as the leads - Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas, playing the couple.  As I say their performances are well up to the task of hooking an audience and maintaining interest - and I was hooked.

However, when the credits finally rolled I was left unfulfilled.  I would love to go into why I felt so 'cheated,' but unless I go into deep 'spoiler territory' and give you a full account of what happens and all the characters' secrets, I can't really do my opinion justice.  I just felt that I didn't get certain characters' motivations and was left wondering what the point of some of their actions were - actions which seemed to go against the logic of the situations they found themselves in.

I'll admit I watched this at home and I guess I could have glanced at my phone and missed a line of dialogue which completely explained everything, but - ultimately - what was a good and enjoyable film left me shrugging my shoulders when it was all over and not understanding why they did or didn't do the things that had transpired.  I see it's got pretty reasonable ratings and that it was actually based on a book (which you won't be surprised to hear I haven't read), so maybe the answers I'm looking for are actually contained in there.

5/10 You can watch this film while you're doing the ironing (you'll still get the general gist of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment