Friday 24 May 2024

Happy Little Bunnies (2021) - What did I just watch?

Many people lament the fact that 'cinema' is largely taken up with remake, sequels and prequels with very little in the way of originality. 'Happy Little Bunnies' is certainly different - whether you like it or not may be a different story.

If you read the marketing you'll see that there's a serial killer on the loose (who seems to like dressing like the lowest budget rabbit you'll ever see) while a man is having a therapy session with a psychiatrist.  Yeah, that is about what the entire film consists of.  How do those two plots intertwine?  Well, you'll have to watch the film to find out.

And that's when you'll either love its quirkiness and originality, or find it the biggest pile of pretentious nonsense you'll have seen in your life.  I can see the arguments for both.

The bulk of the film is the psychiatrist's session with his patient.  This is intercut with not only flashbacks from the past, but - presumably - completely random scenes of bunny-murder.  Confused?  You probably will be.  And the film knows it - and enjoys your confusion.  How do I know?  Because it even 'stops' (sort of) halfway for the director to taunt you to your face.  Again, you'll either laugh at this and appreciate it and find it fitting with the film's off-the-wall feel, or find it completely unnecessary and jarring.  Again, I can see it from both sides.

Personally, I quite enjoyed it.  Although I was definitely invested in the film because I wanted to see how it all worked out in the end (I suspected everything was not what it seemed, but didn't predict the ending!) the 'high points' for me was the relationship between psychiatrist and patient.  I found their conversation quite interesting and brought up some interesting aspects about today's society and our culture as a whole.

But, like I've stressed, you'll either love or hate this film.  It really is knowingly over-the-top and revels in the confusion it causes.  If you're prepared for a ride like that, give it a go - it's quite good fun.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment