Saturday 21 October 2023

Summer Camp (2015) - Shake it, baby!

Wow, I've watched bad films before and not enjoyed them because of things like story, acting, plot etc, but 'Summer Camp' gave me a new reason to really consider turning it off from any time after the twenty minute mark.

I'm a general fan of horror and/or B-movies, so I've watched (and enjoyed) a tonne of cliched films where a handful of teenagers get stalked by - insert monster or serial killer of your choice here - and liked them for what they were.  So when the summary of this movie was basically, four camp councillors get infected with a deadly disease while in a Spanish summer camp, I was pretty sure I'd be getting some form of zombie outbreak film.

And I got basically just that - only with two major differences/problems.  The first was that the film was just too damn dark to ever see what was going on.  Seriously, I actually tried adjusting my TV's contrast and brightness in the hope of actually working out what was going on.  The second - and even worse - problem was that the camera constantly shakes whenever something - supposedly scary - happens.  This, combined with the fact that the film is shot in near darkness means I couldn't tell what was happening at any time.

One example was two people driving in a car.  One attacks the other.  The car crashes.  I assumed both were still in the vehicle, but it turned out one had got out (or jumped out?) and I hadn't been able to see this happen on screen.

In short, this film just doesn't work because you need night vision goggles to even stand a chance of getting anything out of it.  I don't know how you overcome the 'shaky-cam' - maybe just be used to being on a ship on choppy water?  There are a million better zombie/infection stories out there that you can actually see what's going on.

4/10 You can watch this film while you're doing the ironing (you'll still get the general gist of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment