Sunday 22 October 2023

Love Hurts (aka 'Most Horrible Things' 2022) - Guess you'll either love or 'hurt' it!

I watched 2022's 'Most Horrible Things' (apparently also known as 'Love Hurts' which is probably a better title on reflection) on a streaming service and, as many people probably feel, streaming services do just tend to fill up their channel with 'content' rather than considering the merits of what they're putting out.  For that reason, many of the horror films I watch on their are pretty dire.  Perhaps that was a good thing when I sat down to watch it, as my expectations were pretty low.

And it is certainly low budget.  Set over the course of a night where six strangers are invited to dinner at the promise of $10,000 each for their stay by the mysterious owner.  Naturally, things don't go to plan and the bodycount starts to rise as the night progresses.

But, just because there's no budget or even big name actors, doesn't mean it's not worth considering.  The characters, being basically only eight of them, all get a chance to be in the spotlight and there are some nice 'reveals' about some of them that I didn't see coming.

All the actors play their parts well (my personal favourites were the mansion's host/owner and his loyal butler!) and I kind of knew that all would not be what it first seemed and that there were probably going to be a few twists and turns as the story unfolded.  I was right in that there are a few 'left turns' the story takes, but I'm notoriously bad at predicting these sorts of things, so maybe it's just me when I say that I never saw any of them coming.

Naturally, there are no huge alien invasions or high-speed car chases, so if you choose to watch this you're going to need to be in the mood for a slow burner.  I've read a few other reviews and it seems that opinion is split with other viewers either loving or hating it.  Personally, I wouldn't say it's a classic that will stand the test of time, but it's definitely worth watching if you're in the mood for this sort of film and you get the chance to see it as part of your streaming package.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment